Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Modern Pilgrimages

I think that Tuesday’s class discussion was very interesting. The talk on Modern Pilgrimage and Pagan beliefs was very interesting to me. I liked how the Holistic view is that a person is ALL the body, mind, and spirit connected, as opposed to one of the other. I also thought that the Gaia belief was different, because they see the whole earth as one living-being which could be viewed as a woman. They think of a person’s body as their text. What I wish was still true today here in America was the Goddess worship, like the statue of Venus of Malta. What I loved and I’m sure most of my friends love is that they praised women who were not stick figures! All “dream figure” body for a woman now days are pencil thin women. But the Gaia people liked this kind of body figure to symbolize fortuity with big breasts and big hips, because that is what happens during and after child bearing. Also with being a full figured woman it is a sign of power and wealth, because the people can afford to eat more food. I thought these views are rather different then what the spoiled American people look at today.

No comments: